Saturday 21 May 2011

10 Under the Ben - The Event

Well it was wet, and muddy, and good fun until about 1pm when it wasn't.

Andy and I arrived at the Nevis range car park about 8.30am, and set up the gazebo as our base / shelter for the day.
The sun was shining, but dark clouds were looming.  We dropped off our bikes at the start line, and prepared for the Le Mans start (well, we hung about at the back getting cold)

After a delay of 15 mins, we were off and running. 

As usual, the first lap is shorter but steeper, to spread out the field to avoid bottle necks.  This did not work very well as there was a hold up at the first two single track sections.

I was looking forward to riding the two freshly cut sections on my second lap, as they were rocky and rooty.

With lap 1 under my belt, I continued straight onto lap 2.  I had two wee tumbles on a muddy section, but apart from that, it was an uneventful lap, and I was feeling good.  The weather was holding out, but with all the recent rain, the freshly cut trail sections were already becoming un-rideable, so i walked them once again.

Lap 3 was a different story.  Halfway round the lap, a brake caliper bolt came loose, and deposited it's self somewhere on the trail.  I tightened up the remaining bolt, to stop it vibrating loose, but this meant i couldn't use my front brake for the rest of the race.



I made it back, but it was a slow lap. 

I met up with Andy back at the gazebo and we had lunch. 



Just as we were about to head back out for lap 4, the heavens opened.  We quickly put on our waterproofs and peddled off into the gloom.  It was another slow lap for me with my rear brake now beginning to fade. 

When I got back to the gazebo, Andy had already decided to call it a day.  I headed off to do at lease one more lap, but by the time i had come back round, I'd also had enough.


Cold and wet, I handed in my timing chip, got my miniature of whisky, and headed back to the campsite for a warm shower, and a beer or two.



5 laps, equalling my totals from 2008 and 2009 (2010 i was in a pair with Andy and we did 8 laps) is not a bad result considering the weather.  Will I be back next year? you betcha!

No comments:

Post a Comment